Peschiera - Mantova Cycle Route: along Mincio river by bicycle
Looking for the old railway...
Perhaps not everyone knows that between 1934 and 1967 the cyclists were not reflected in the waters of the Mincio river but the trains that connected Lake Garda to the city of Mantua. The railtrail single track crossed the landscape of the plain full of tourists and travelers, but also of workers and onlookers ... but as often happens, the train became obsolete soon and the section abandoned and disarmed to make room, years later, for one of the most famous cycle paths in Italy.
Cycling Mincio Cycle Route
The triumphant arrival in Mantua, UNESCO heritage ste, takes place pedaling between the three city lakes along a very scenic bridge. The skyline of the city will immediately win you over as well as the many places of interest in Mantua: from the San Lorenzo monument to the Clock Tower, from the Tea Palace to the Captain's one, from the most famous Palazzo Ducale to Casa Mantegna without mentioning all the churches and the historic homes of the city. Don't forget to take a walk in Piazza Broletto and to taste the local cold cuts, the capunsei, the pumpkin tortelli and, if you still have a hole in your stomach, a pot of braised meat or stew.
When to go and why
What to see along the Peschiera – Mantova Cycle Path
To sleep... and eat!
- Peschiera del Garda: it’s one of the many starting points of the Mincio cycle path (it depends, after all, on point of views!!!). Stretching on Lake Garda, Peschiera boasts many fortifications, a beautiful historical center (often invaded by the Germans!) and some Roman excavations. Its proximity to theme parks like Gardaland, makes it a very sought-after destination!
- Mozambano: it’s maybe the first real resort in the province of Mantua you meet along the cycle path. It boasts a beautiful castle of the XI century and a picturesque skyline.
- Volta Mantovana: reachable with a deviation of 4,5 km from the original itinerary, Volta Mantovana is known because of its castle dating back, like that of Mozambano, to the XI century and the Gonzaga-Guerrieri Palace. From the Peschiera - Mantova Cycle Path the cycle section of the Corridoio Morenico Basso detaches connecting Castiglione delle Stiviere to Pozzolo and passing right through Volta Mantovana.
- Valeggio sul Mincio: it’s one of the last villages in the province of Verona. Dominated by the Scaligero Castle (very suggestive and very much visited!), Valeggio sul Mincio is known especially for Villa Sigurtà and, from a gastronomic point of view, its excellent tortellini. If you pass from here, you can’t forget to plan a stop right here!
- Rivalta sul Mincio:this small village in the province of Mantua used to live on fishing. Today it’s possible to stroll towards the Mincio passing through the ancient, picturesque fishermen village. From Rivalta you can set off for various canoeing or boat excursions along the course of the river Mincio to explore a part of the park and devote yourself to birdwatching. In Rivalta it’s possible to stop and sleep at the hostel paying really little!
- Mantova:since 2008, with nearby Sabbioneta, it’s been a World Heritage Site because of its many monuments and architectural, cultural peculiarities left by the Gonzaga. A visit of Mantua requires a couple of days but it’s really worth it. Don’t miss the Duomo, the Rotonda di San Lorenzo and the Watch Tower in Piazza delle Erbe, the Ducal Palace and the other many civil buildings scattered in the historic center. Also the two bridges of Mantua, the squares and alleys..
- To sleep along the Mincio cycle path I chose the Ostello del Mincio which is an economic structure divided into private rooms or dormitories and is located directly overlooking the river. In my opinion the place is really worth a visit also because from here you can leave to explore the river in canoe or boat . Bed in dormitory € 20 per person but if you are affiliated with AIG you spend € 17 a night. There are also other alternatives such as apartments on airbnb discounted if you are not registered yet. Along the cycleway you can also find a good place to camp freely (from sunset to sunrise)
- Along the cycle route there are parking areas for the camper, camping and accommodation facilities of every level.
- Peschiera del Garda is quite expensive ... if you want to eat something typical dishes at a good price, choose one of the taverns or trattorias along the cycle route
- Taste the tortellini di Valeggio, the pumpkin tortelli or a risotto in Mantua and the many cold cuts served with gnocco fritto or Chisœla
ITA - Correva l'anno 1983 quando ha sorriso per la prima volta alla luce del sole estivo. Da sempre col pallino per l'avventura, ha avuto la fortuna di girare l'Europa e l'Italia con i genitori e poi, per la maturità, si è regalata un viaggio in 2 cavalli da Milano verso la Russia. Al momento giusto ha mollato il lavoro senza alcun rimpianto per volare in Nuova Zelanda dove ha viaggiato per cinque mesi in solitaria. Nel 2007 ha provato per la prima volta l'esperienza di un viaggio in bici e, da quel momento, non ne ha potuto più fare a meno... così, dopo alcune brevi esperienze in Europa, nel 2010 è partita con Leo per un lungo viaggio in bicicletta nel Sud Est asiatico, la prima vera grande avventura insieme! All'Asia sono seguite le Ande, il Marocco, il Sudafrica-Lesotho e #noplansjourney. Se non è in viaggio, vive sul lago d'Iseo! Carpediem e buone pedalate!
EN - It was 1983 when he smiled for the first time in the summer sunlight. Always with a passion for adventure, she had the good fortune to travel around Europe and Italy with her parents and then, for maturity, she took a trip in 2 horses from Milan to Russia. At the right moment he quit his job with no regrets to fly to New Zealand where he traveled for five months alone. In 2007 she tried the experience of a bike trip for the first time and, from that moment on, she couldn't do without it ... so, after some short experiences in Europe, in 2010 she left with Leo for a long cycling trip in South East Asia, the first real great adventure together! Asia was followed by the Andes, Morocco, South Africa-Lesotho and #noplansjourney. If he's not traveling, he lives on Lake Iseo! Carpediem and have good rides!
Latest from Veronica Rizzoli
- Cycling documentaries and adventure movies not to be missed
- 14 bicycle touring and cycling books to read in the lifetime
- The Camonica Valley Cycleway: from Capo di Ponte to Pisogne by bicycle
- The Framura – Levanto cycleway: a glimpse of Liguria by bicycle
- Munich-Venice bike route: the Friendship Cycle Trail
- Val Pusteria cycle path: from San Candido to Fortezza by bicycle